Sometimes I blog about writing (most of the time), but every once in a while, I like to ramble about what I’ve been reading. Last fall, right around Halloween, I read The Bone Witch.
If you are familiar with the series, you know it’s by Rin Chupeco. Since reading that book, I’ve read many more of her books. And I’ve come to the conclusion that I love her books.
I’ve read the first two of the Bone Witch trilogy and am currently reading the third. I’ve read The Girl from the Well and just bought the second book The Suffering.
I’ve also read both the books in the Never Tilting World set. Honestly, as soon as a I get a chance, I’ll be reading the other books she’s written too.
The question you may be asking is why do I love her books so much…
- The Pacing
- Her books are full of adventure, and they just go. I find them hard to put down.
- If you’ve read my books or my short stories, it’s the kind of pacing I like to write as well.
- The Viewpoints
- In the Never Tilting World books, each chapter is a different viewpoint, and she rotates through them for the rest of the book. I love this. The story is told from so many different perspectives. It gives details and insights that would be missed in a different narrative style.
- In the Bone Witch Trilogy, there are two narrators, and their differing viewpoints add layers to the story.
- The Grey Characters
- What I mean by this is there are characters in her books who are neither good nor bad.
- She writes some very strong good guys and some epic villains, but my favorite characters in her books tend to be the ones who are a bit of both.
- The Bone Witch Trilogy centers around a bone witch, think necromancer.
- In the Never Tilting World books, one of the main characters has to endure trials that give her both light and dark magics.
- In The Girl from the Well, a ghost helps free the souls of lost children, and at the same time, kills the people who’ve harmed those children.
- I can’t get enough of this type of character!
As you can see, I really love her books. If you like Young Adult Fantasy / Adventure / Horror, read one of her books, or maybe two or three.
As always, happy reading and writing today and every day! GO READ A BOOK!